Five Ways Discovery Cove is Making Every Day Earth DayApril 22, 2019
There's something cathartic about working for an organization where you can do more than just earn a living; you can make a real difference every single day you clock-in.
You see, Discovery Cove is not an ordinary place. It’s a purpose-driven park on a mission, made up of some of the most dedicated people you will ever meet. Our team at Discovery Cove contributes to research, education and conservation efforts to protect and rescue species of animals at risk in the wild, as well as the habitats that are home to many vulnerable species.
Spend some time at Discovery Cove and you will quickly learn that every day here is Earth Day. The noted writer Wendell Berry explained it best when he wrote, “the Earth is what we all have in common,”, and we believe we should each do our part to leave a better earth for the generations to come.
Working for an organization that “does its part,” is just one of the many reasons we love coming into work every morning. Here are five ways our Ambassadors are making a difference at Discovery Cove.
1. As part of our mission to protect animals and habitats worldwide, last year, Discovery Cove has banned the use of plastic straws, bags and lids in the park.
2. Discovery Cove is proud to support the Rising Tide Conservation initiative that connects experts from public aquariums, research facilities, the pet industry and saltwater aquarium hobbyists to develop sustainable aquaculture methods for marine ornamental fishes. We also donate 5 percent of proceeds from our SeaVenture program to the Rising Tide Conservation effort, dedicated to the protection of coral reefs.
3. Discovery Cove serves a lot of seafood to both our guests and the animals that call Discovery Cove home. All seafood served by Discovery Cove is procured from sources that promote environmentally responsible fishing and fish farming, processing, and food safety practices.
4. Discovery Cove and acclaimed marine wildlife artist and conservationist Guy Harvey announced a partnership in 2016 focused on ocean health and the plight of sharks in the wild. Discovery Cove, the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation and the Guy Harvey Research Institute collaborate on science and research to increase understanding of how to better protect these critical predators and their habitats. Our guests also play a role in this effort, as Discovery Cove donates 5 percent of proceeds from our Shark Swim program to the Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation.
5. Discovery Cove is committed not only to caring for each individual animal, but also to being responsible stewards of our animal populations. Our focus on population health is also driven by our goal of helping to maintain certain species of animals as members of the Association of Zoos and Aquariums’ Species Survival Plans, which are ultimately aimed at preserving species in the wild.
We are extremely proud of the work we do every day at Discovery Cove and are excited about our future. With the passion and commitment of our people, we are confident Discovery Cove’s ongoing conservation efforts will continue to grow and expand for years to come.
Be sure to browse our website to learn more about our conservation efforts and to book your one-of-a-kind Discovery Cove experience where you can interact with bottlenose dolphins, feed tropical birds, play inches from a family of otters and even walk on the Grand Reef floor, -all in one amazing day. This is an all-inclusive experience where your family can unwind, explore, learn, and create memories that will last a lifetime – all while playing a role in our Earth’s conservation efforts.